Men's “Cast & Cruise” Trip
This year we will be trying a fly-fishing & cycling combo trip! We’re headed to the “Driftless” Area of Southwest Wisconsin, home to some of the finest trout fishing and cycling in the Midwest. The trip dates are June 11 – 14. You can check out our cabin at Nature’s Nook Cabin and Nature Preserve.
If you are a cyclist, you’ll love the unique geography of the Driftless Area. This region is famous for steep cliffs and breathtaking valleys that would be cycling enthusiasts dream. We’ll form pelotons according to how fast and far you want to ride. If you are a fisherman, the 600+ spring-fed trout streams, prolific insect hatches, and bucolic scenery will be your dream. Professional fly-fishing guides are available to show you the ropes and ensure you have an enjoyable and successful day on the water.
Come for the fishing! Come for the cycling! Come for both!
No prior experience necessary!
Our agenda will be very flexible so you can choose what interests you.
Thursday, June 11th
- Leave Second Presbyterian Church at 5:30am (7 hr drive)
- Get settled in at the cabin, time for fishing, cycling or relaxing
- Evening: dinner at cabin & faith discussion
Friday, June 12th & Saturday, June 13th
- Morning: fishing or cycling
- Afternoon: spiritual development activity and free time
- Evening: Fishing, free time, fellowship – It’s up to you!
Sunday, June 14th
- Morning: Morning Church service at the cabin, then fish or cycle at leisure.
- Leave for Indy between 10-noon.
- Arrive at Second by 5-7pm
Spiritual Development: Besides excellent trout fishing and cycling, we will have opportunities to deepen our faith and get to know each other better. We are blessed to have Bill Graves, member of Second Presbyterian Church and adult Christian educator, lead us in faith-filled discussions.
Cabin: Nature’s Nook Retreat and Nature Preserve sits along the West Fork of the Kickapoo River, a Class I trout stream in the heart of fly-fishing and cycling mecca. With a mile of private river frontage and easy access from the cabin doorsteps to paved roads, this location is ideal for fly-fishermen and cyclists. We are renting two cabins with beds for 16. Float tubes and kayaks are also available. We will cook our own food in the cabin and bring food to eat streamside.
Fly-fishing: With access to over 600 small, wadable trout streams, there’s no shortage of water or wild trout! The State of Wisconsin has been pouring money into access points and easements, so no permission is necessary on most waters. Brown Trout are the most common species. Expect a good mix of nymph and dry fly action.
Guides: Totally optional, but highly recommended. Guides are available for half day trips on Friday and Saturday. When fishing with a guide, you’ll be paired up with someone from the trip.
Cycling: The Driftless is a cyclist’ paradise with hundreds of challenging miles of diverse terrain, winding coulees, and plenty of stopping points. Cyclist are free to ride as often as they like and are encouraged to map out potential rides ahead of time (see links below).
What to bring:
- Fly-fishermen: waders, fly rod & reel, fly vest. We will purchase inexpensive flies online ahead of time. If you’re interested and don’t have gear, please let Steve Haigh know. Often, he can find gear for you to borrow.
- Cyclists: bike, GPS, repair kit, etc.
Questions? Contact Steve Haigh (317) 459-8562 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Cabin: Nature’s Nook Cabin and Nature Preserve
- Guide Service & Fly Shop: Driftless Angler, Viroqua, Wisconsin
- Cycling: Bluedog Cycles, Viroqua, Wisconsin
- Cycling routes near Viroqua (Map my Ride)
- Estimate $250 - $300. Final group expenses will be tallied and split evenly based on actual expenses.
- To reserve your spot, $200 is required by Wed, April 15th. Space is limited to 16 people. Father/ son combos are fine for mature high school or older kids.
- If you’d like a guide, add $150 / person + tip for ½ day. Payment in advance for your guide service is due by May 1st
- Wisconsin Driftless fly fishing: pics and video
- Blog to Steve’s 2019 Wisconsin Driftless trip: Click Here
- State of Wisconsin stream maps (we’ll be in Vernon, Richland & Crawford Counties)
Videos from previous trips:
- 2019 White River: https://youtu.be/MaE7nrci-nA
- 2018 Tennessee: https://youtu.be/F5nVBUPrMzc
- 2017 Pennsylvania: https://youtu.be/KPOT4vv3nCE
- 2015 White River: https://youtu.be/BlgtAf4Zvy0
Questions? Steve Haigh 317-459-8562 email@example.com
Hope to see you there!