The Children’s Choir School at Second Presbyterian Church offers a comprehensive music curriculum that encourages the spiritual and artistic growth of children age four through fifth grade. Children receive instruction in music reading, notation, rhythmic and vocal training, and ensemble skills like part-singing, tuning and blending. In addition, children deepen their familiarity with scripture and worship. Skills developed in Choir School lead to a lifetime enjoyment of praising God through music.
Three children's choirs (Cherub, Choristers and Carol) meet on Sunday mornings during the 11:00 a.m. service (following “A Time With Children” in the worship service) September through May.
Children develop musical skills in music reading, notation, rhythmic and vocal training, and ensemble skills like part-singing, tuning and blending in the Carol Choir classroom. Children will enhance their understanding of the power of music to express feelings, tell stories, and call people to Christian discipleship. Additionally, children will learn specific age-appropriate hymns focusing on theological, historical and cultural aspects and what they mean.
In Choristers we develop the singing (head) voice, introduce harmony through partner songs and simple canons, and music reading. Children will understand worship as a proclamation of God’s Word and their role as music ministers in service. Additionally, children will build a working knowledge of repeated liturgical practice, contents of the hymnal and specific age-appropriate hymns and what they mean.
This playful approach to music learning will help children reach their potentials in singing, vocabulary development and motor skills while developing an understanding of church music and worship participation. Children will discover worship as a place where people express love for God and experience the Bible, its stories, people, passages and verses as a part of their everyday lives.
Choir School Staff
- CHERUB CHOIR - Carol Baker, Cherub Choir Director & Thomas Ristine, Accompanist
- CHORISTERS - Terion Cooper, Choristers Director & Eunice Tong, Accompanist
- CAROL CHOIR - Erin Quandt, Carol Choir Director & Karen Ristine & Renata Trager, Accompanists
- View Music Staff Photos & Biographies: Click here to view
Adult volunteers provide invaluable assistance during Children’s Choir School classes. Duties include escorting children from Sanctuary to classrooms, recording attendance, distributing and collecting materials, helping children with any personal issues that arise during rehearsal, and assisting with robing and processing on worship Sundays.
Thank you for your cooperation and participation!
Choir School Handbook - Download pdf
2017 Spring Calendar - Download pdf
Children and Youth Music Mission
The mission of the music program for Children and Youth is to develop:
- The God-given talents of all children and youth;
- The use of talents in service of God;
- The understanding of a creative God through personal creative expression;
- The skills of music fundamentals and ensemble techniques;
- Tradition through learning of scripture, sacrament, doctrine and history;
- Teamwork, fellowship and positive relationships (peer-to-peer and inter-generational);
- The engagement of the community through outreach programs.